Sunday, May 18, 2008

Interview with Brynn Chapman


Author Pen Name: Brynn Chapman

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

BC: I write historical fantasy under Brynn and young adult under R.R. Smythe
I write what I love. I've formed an odd combination of interests in fantasy, history and often medical or scientific experiments in history.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

BC: I loved writing as far back as junior high….English was my favorite…but my parents encouraged me to enter a field where I was assured a job….so I first entered medicine.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

BC: I think I can say….characters who are able to put others before themselves. The human quality of endurance and also sacrifice for others is what moves me. Whether it is in movies, books or in real life….where I have a constant stream of drama and real life heroes to write about.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

BC: Ick. Well, I still work in medicine….and have 3 children…..but I do manage to write 15-20 hours per week. I just have to be regimented. WHERE I write constantly changes depending on the week in my life, who I need to hide from lol…etc

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

BC: Relieved. The whole process of editing, production, promotion is quite a bit of work.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

BC: Deciding when their done….when which edit finally reaches that polished stage…to send them out to be considered by publishing houses I think.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

BC: Well, I have 3 kids, so I am a great cab driver to be sure. I love movies, other peoples books, dancing, some sports…skiing….but truth be told I have little time for them now.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
BC: Completed manuscripts……6. To choose a favorite is like trying to choose your favorite child…not possible. You love them all for different reasons, depending on what message you were trying to convey at the time.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

BC: Both….there are many people that move me, and I will remember their characteristics, but its never completely based on one person. There is a tribute at the back of "The Bride of Blackbearda' along these lines.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

BC: Sheesh. Develop a skin as thick as dragon-hide….first. Second- revision is your only friend. Third….don't give up. You must love it to do this…it is a very subjective business.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

BC: The Website for Highland Press…any online venue….amazon, barnes and noble etc. Bookstores can order it for you….and for booksellers…they are distributed through Ingrams and are returnable.

CA: Thank you so much Brynn for an amazing interview! I am going to have to check out your new book, I’m a sucker for pirates (smiles)

4 comments:

hurricanemercedes said...

Very nice interview Brynn

HMy

Zulmara said...

Great advice to new writers...

ADELANTE...wish you well on your book...

Zulmara

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your Interview. I liked your advice and how you give of yourself.
Can't wait to read this
D

Keely said...

Your books are so different! Do you ever have to work on edits for one book and first draft of another? How do you change your mindset when you go from one book to the next?

BTW, my scribe really loved Into the Woods, your R.R. Smythe book.

Princess Keely