Monday, May 26, 2008

Interview with Brandon Ford


Author Pen Name: Brandon Ford

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

BF: I write exclusively in the horror/suspense genre. I write fiction in this particular genre because I am a longtime fan of books and films that focus on the emotion of fear. I’ve always loved a good scare.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

BF: I’ve been writing for a long time. I first began approximately at the age of 8. Throughout my teen years, I did it as more of a hobby. It was just something fun I enjoyed doing in my spare time. I really didn’t decide that being a writer was something I actually wanted to do full time until I was about 18. It was around the time I first graduated high school and I found myself wondering what the hell I was supposed to do with the rest of my life. It was then that I decided to pursue my passion as a career.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

BF: When I first began penning my own works of fiction, young adult authors like R.L. Stine were a huge inspiration. I was a big fan of the Fear Street series growing up and those books always offered me the motivation I needed to create stories of my own. Writing today, Jack Ketchum is probably my biggest inspiration. His work is brilliant and his voice is one of a kind. I’m in awe of his incomparable ability to create such disturbing and amazing work. I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’ve tried to emulate his particular style, but his technique is definitely one I think of when trying to create a scene of gratuitous horror.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

BF: It varies. I try and work on more than one project at a time so there will definitely be instances where I put a particular story or novel on hold to work on something else. I find this helps a great deal when I hit a brick wall with one piece. I like to try and stay busy as often as I can, so I force myself to write every day. There are days when I write for hours on end and then there are others when I can only generate a sentence of two. The creativity comes as it pleases. You can’t force it. But, when the muse is knocking on my door, I’ll make sure to invite her in and make her comfortable so she’ll stay as long as possible.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

BF: Terrified.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?
BF: A good writer must be an avid reader, so I try and read as many books on the genre as possible to gather inspiration. I’m also a big horror film fanatic, so I spend a lot of time watching and re-watching my favorite films on DVD.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

BF: I’ve written 4 novels to date. I would have to say my favorite thus far would probably be my second, Splattered Beauty. Hoping this one will be released sometime toward the end of the year, so keep your fingers crossed.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

BF: Thankfully, I don’t really know many people in real life that resemble some of the characters in my writing. Most of the time, they all come from my imagination, but there will be times when I’ll loosely base a character on someone I know or someone I’ve met in the past. I’ll never base a character 100% on an actual person though.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

BF: Whenever I’m asked this question, I always give the same advice. It is, however, the best advice I can give. And that is to write as much as possible and continue to build your portfolio. The more you write, the better you get at it. And, most of all, if being a published author is something you really want to do, then persevere. Never, ever stop submitting your manuscripts, no matter how many rejection letters you have overflowing in a file cabinet somewhere. Getting your work accepted by an editor is never an easy task. It’s something you have to work for.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

BF: Well, my first novel, Crystal Bay, is available pretty much all over the net. Just pay a visit to your favorite book retailers like Amazon and Barnes and Noble and you’ll have no trouble finding it. As for contacting me personally, readers can find me on MySpace at www.myspace.com/writerbrandonford and on Blogspot at www.writerbrandonford.blogspot.com.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

BF: Just like to say thanks very much for your support and most of all, thanks for helping spread the word on Crystal Bay.

CA: Thank you Brandon for taking time out to visit over here on my interview blog this week, I hope that we can get more buyers for Crystal Bay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Brandon, I love the title of your book. Would you like to post a blurb here in the comments?
Crystal

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

GREAT interview!! Brandon, your motivation really inspires me, and good luck with your new release!!!! Keep plugging away and thanks for the advice to NEVER give up!!

Hugs from a fellow author,
MJ Allaire